"Investing in our children requires investing in our teachers, and our educators deserve to be paid like the professionals they are," said Governor Cooper. "Republicans in Raleigh need to come to the negotiating table and work with me to pass a significant teacher pay raise that will keep our state competitive in recruiting and retaining top talent."
Teachers, like those at North Buncombe Elementary School, are well into the 2019-2020 school year without a pay raise because Republican legislators refuse to negotiate a budget compromise with Governor Cooper that would raise teacher pay. Over 90 days ago, Gov Cooper presented a detailedcompromise proposal to provide teachers an average 8.5% raise over two years with no plateaus and a raise for every teacher. The Republican budget offered teachers an average raise of 3.8% over two years – less than what every other state employee has been given.
More on ncarol.com
- Little Buggy Productions readies, The Girl Who Yearned for her Mother by Nichole Troupe for release
- 4e Brands North America Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Hand Sanitizer Due to Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)
- North Carolina: Governor Signs Senate Bill 232 into Law
- Drive Up and Grab a Bag of School Supplies
- Just for you… the best summer fun is online now! Outer Banks Squared - The Art Show
A substantive 8.5% raise is needed to recruit and retain teaching talent, and the Republican conference budget's suggested 3.8% raise will not keep North Carolina competitive with other states.
"Teachers would like our compensation to reflect the importance of our job, which is to give all our students the tools they will need in life to reach their full potential," said Elizabeth Apostolopoulos, First Grade Teacher at North Buncombe Elementary School. "We hope that the state of North Carolina will begin to recognize the reality that the demands of our job are growing beyond academics to include providing a steady presence and unconditional support for students who are underserved in their communities."
"North Carolina is full of teachers who are sharp, articulate and hard-working. They are a ready and willing "think tank" for NC policymakers," said Stephanie Knox, Academically or Intellectually Gifted (AIG) Specialist at North Buncombe Elementary school. "My hope is that improved, intentional collaboration between policymakers and teachers who touch the lives of our NC children every single day will create structures that are supportive of student growth from the grassroots level."
Latest on ncarol.com
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
- America's Boating Channel Explains New Life Jacket Labels
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner
- Axiros AXESS ACS Enables UK ISP, Origin Broadband, With TR-069 Device Management Solution
- Newest Analysis from ImmersivEdge Advisors Helps Investors Make the Right Moves in the Dynamic AR & Smartglasses Industry
- Global Growth to Donate 1 Million Meals, Founder Greg Lindberg Says
- Wheaton Family Law Attorney - Tania K. Harvey Launches New Website | Wheaton IL Family Lawyers
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- North Carolina A&T State University again chooses Mondo to upgrade track and field venue
- Seismic Shift from New York to the Palm Beaches Signals Permanent Residency, Not Seasonal Vacation Homes
- Travel + Leisure Readers Give San Miguel De Allende a Reason to Celebrate as It Ranks In World's Best Awards
- NS4ed Partners with MetaMetrics to Offer Quantile Measures and Career Database for new Career-Focused Algebra and Geometry Curricula
- Thiel College and local Veterans of Foreign Wars post to research connections to Camp Reynolds and World War II
- Lantek reinforces its southern European presence by adding a new distributor, AlfaSolid, in Greece and Cyprus
- JNESHIA Unveils New Single "KINGZ"
- CooperRiis Launches New Insurance Driven Intensive Clinical Program
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- Asheville Tea Company Brews Adventure with Release of New Tea Line
- Trilliant's ISRM System Has Been Certified to the ISO 27001 Standard by DEKRA