- Financial Independence Group Partners with Carson Group to Provide Life Insurance, Annuities, Disability, and Long-Term Care Solutions
- North Carolina: German Industrial Automation Company to Build U.S. Headquarters in Gaston County with $7.8 Million Investment
- New Epson LabelWorks 2-inch Bulk Label Printers Now Available at DuraFast Label Company
"The world now knows the progress North Carolina has made in becoming a safer and more inclusive place for our LGTBQ+ community," Governor Cooper said. "But there's more work to be done, and this month is an opportunity to renew our commitment to fight for equality."
Pride Month commemorates the riots held 52 years ago at the Stonewall Inn on June 28, an event often recognized as the birth of the modern LGBTQ+ movement.
In June 2020, the Supreme Court of the United States extended discrimination protections for LGBTQ+ employees under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Several other landmark Supreme Court cases have been issued in June, including striking down the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013 and affirming same-sex couples' right to marry in 2015 under Obergefell v. Hodges.
Approximately four percent of North Carolinians identify as LGBTQ+. Governor Cooper has taken several steps to make North Carolina a safe, welcoming place for people in the LGBTQ+ community to live and work.
More on ncarol.com
- Scallop Software is now a GSA MULTIPLE SCHEDULE approved vendor. Congratulations from Brian Peterson and the Government Marketplace LLC team
- Overlooked Hurricane Katrina Mississippi Black Women Survivors Resilience and Recovery
- North Carolina: Op-Ed for Publication from Governor Cooper: Your Shot at a Million, Our Shot at Defeating the Pandemic for Good
- Ingersoll Rand to Virtually Participate in Fireside Chat Hosted by Barclays
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper Proclaims June 19 as Juneteenth Day
In August 2019, the Governor issued Executive Order No. 97, which made North Carolina the first state in the South to ban state funding for conversion therapy. Governor Cooper also issued Executive Order No. 24 in October 2017, which prohibits employment discrimination in the Cooper Administration, including on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression, and requires those doing business with the state to do the same. Executive Order No. 24 also created the Commission on Inclusion, which identifies policies and measures to promote inclusion and address discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Read the full 2021 Pride Month proclamation.
Latest on ncarol.com
- Is A Licensed Property Manager Required In Nevada?
- 7-Year Old Singer/Songwriter Kyra Pesebre Releases "I Love You, Dad" In Time For Father's Day
- North Carolina: PHOTOS/FOOTAGE AVAILABLE: Governor Cooper Discusses Your Shot at a Million Vaccine Cash Drawing in Davidson County
- The KIS Foundation, Inc. Celebrates World Sickle Cell Day "Day of Physical Fitness and Education"
- Industry Leaders Spotlight the New Payer Regulatory and Compliance Environment at Beacon Leadership Summit
- Arch MI Secures Over $616 Million of Indemnity Reinsurance through Bellemeade Re Insurance-Linked Note Transaction and Related Reinsurance
- Batteries Plus Inks Largest Franchise Deal in Company History
- North Carolina: Lotus Bakeries to Expand in Alamance County Creating Up to 90 Jobs in Mebane
- St Pete Talk joins the Canadian Snowbird Association talking Taxes | Snowbirds
- APX Founder Terri Ross Returns as a Featured Speaker at the 2021 AmSpa Medical Spa & Aesthetic Bootcamps
- OpenSSL 3.0 Release Candidate now available
- Protopia and University of Michigan Host Webinar on AI-Powered Networking in the Classroom
- Lineus Medical Expands US Distribution with CoMedical
- N-able Announces New Addition to Its Executive Leadership Team, Naming Jeff Nulsen as Chief Marketing Officer
- Scandia Inc. Announces Acquisition of Xtreme Organics Inc. To Expand Growth In Medicinal Chemicals And Botanical Products Space
- Ismail Sirdah's Tips for Finding the Perfect concert Venue
- Hyperion Commences Sustainability Life-Cycle Studies
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper Signs Five Bills into Law
- PEI Named Top Managed Services Provider in the United States
- ActivePipe empowering brokerages to stay relevant