FROM: Ford Porter, Governor's Deputy Communications Director
DATE: July 25, 2019
RE: Wayne County School Funding Questions for Speaker Moore
Members of the media,
This morning, Speaker Moore is joining legislators to tour Rosewood Elementary in Goldsboro and highlight the need for school construction funds. The failure of legislative Republicans to adequately invest in new school construction is one of the primary reasons Governor Cooper vetoed their budget.
The Republican budget promises an unguaranteed $19.1 million for school construction in Wayne County, with no assurance that projects ever be completed. Governor Cooper's proposed compromise would provide $28.2 million in Wayne County and would guarantee funding for new school construction.
Legislative Republicans budget creates a State Capital Infrastructure Fund that siphons 4% of the budget away from other priorities to school construction, without guaranteeing that projects ever be completed. This plan doesn't meet capital needs in communities across the state, doesn't allow local leaders to plan long-term, and forces cuts in other areas.
More on ncarol.com
- Industrial circular screen for processing ash
- Durante Rentals Makes the Inc. 5000 List for Seventh Straight Year
- Thiel College's safety program one of two Pennsylvania institutions recognized by top credentialing organizations
- The United States Legal 500 Name Recognizes Fennemore Craig's Real Estate Practice
- Asheville Tea Company Releases 2019 Fall Seasonals
Governor Cooper proposed a responsible bond that takes advantage of historically low interest rates to provide more funding for school construction and guarantee that local projects would be funded. Speaker Moore actually supported a similar bond earlier in this year.
Seventeen days ago, Governor Cooper offered a compromise that combined a reduced SCIF with a bond, that still provides more school construction funds for communities across the state – including more than $9 million in additional funding to Wayne County.
It's important to ask Speaker Moore and legislative Republicans:
- If you agree that school construction is a priority, why don't you support a plan that would provide more than $9 million more in Wayne County? Why have you refused to provide a counter offer to Governor Cooper's budget proposal? Will you negotiate with Governor Cooper to provide more funding for school construction in Wayne County and across the state?
Latest on ncarol.com
- Digital Media Solutions Secures Sixth Consecutive Ranking On Inc. 5000 List
- Guide to renting a luxury villa in Corfu
- Tourico Vacations Adds New Booking Platform With Discounted Home Rentals 8-40% Savings Over Competition
- Geo Owl Makes the 2019 Inc. 5000 List
- Destiny Carries & LFG Wins Praise for Offering First-Class Destiny Carries and boosting for all Destiny Players
- Evolve IP® Named For Seventh Time to the Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- Chris Janson to Headline Subaru Country Freedom Festival at the Port of Los Angeles October 19
- 37 Days of GOP Stalling is Costing North Carolina
- Transcend Security Secures High Rank On Acclaimed Inc. 5000 List Of The Fastest Growing Private Companies In America for 2019
- Automation Intellect Raises Funding Round Led by StartFast
- California Advertising Company Celebrates 20th Anniversary
- VORAGO Technologies Receives NASA SBIR Award for Latch-up Protection IC
- Saranas Recognized as One of Houston's Most Innovative Companies
- Conspire Web Services reduces cloud backup costs by up to 25x
- The Most Extensive Study Of Its Kind On Family Office Real Estate Investing Is Released
- North Carolina: 36 Days and Counting: "It is now time for the Republican leadership to come to the table with their counter-proposals"
- Wish You Could Give Back More? So Does Scottsdale Based Real Estate Management Company MC Residential LLC
- North Carolina: Gov. Cooper Appoints Two New District Court Judges
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper Announces 600 New Jobs as Xerox Selects Wake County for a New Center of Excellence
- Software Testing Innovator Elevon Announces Launch of the Spotter Platform