FROM: Ford Porter, Governor's Deputy Communications Director
DATE: July 25, 2019
RE: Wayne County School Funding Questions for Speaker Moore
Members of the media,
This morning, Speaker Moore is joining legislators to tour Rosewood Elementary in Goldsboro and highlight the need for school construction funds. The failure of legislative Republicans to adequately invest in new school construction is one of the primary reasons Governor Cooper vetoed their budget.
The Republican budget promises an unguaranteed $19.1 million for school construction in Wayne County, with no assurance that projects ever be completed. Governor Cooper's proposed compromise would provide $28.2 million in Wayne County and would guarantee funding for new school construction.
Legislative Republicans budget creates a State Capital Infrastructure Fund that siphons 4% of the budget away from other priorities to school construction, without guaranteeing that projects ever be completed. This plan doesn't meet capital needs in communities across the state, doesn't allow local leaders to plan long-term, and forces cuts in other areas.
More on ncarol.com
- DuraFast Label Company Preparing for Demand for Epson's New CW-C6500 8-inch Color Label Printers
- Thiel College to host cyclists for Bike MS: Escape to the Lake 2020 fundraising event
- Little Drummer Boy – New Single Release
- Put some G.L.I.T.Z. in Hospitalized Children's Holidays
- The Story of the LUCKY GOLD COIN in the Cake
Governor Cooper proposed a responsible bond that takes advantage of historically low interest rates to provide more funding for school construction and guarantee that local projects would be funded. Speaker Moore actually supported a similar bond earlier in this year.
Seventeen days ago, Governor Cooper offered a compromise that combined a reduced SCIF with a bond, that still provides more school construction funds for communities across the state – including more than $9 million in additional funding to Wayne County.
It's important to ask Speaker Moore and legislative Republicans:
- If you agree that school construction is a priority, why don't you support a plan that would provide more than $9 million more in Wayne County? Why have you refused to provide a counter offer to Governor Cooper's budget proposal? Will you negotiate with Governor Cooper to provide more funding for school construction in Wayne County and across the state?
Latest on ncarol.com
- Sprawling New Novel, WE OF THE FORSAKEN WORLD, Tackles Themes of Global Connection
- QuiAri Promotes Brad Stewart To Director Of Field Development
- North Carolina: Last Week for Open Enrollment for Federal Health Care Marketplace
- Pilot Trading Expands Its Suite of Broker Integrations by going Live with TradeStation
- DonnaInk Publications features Black Friday to New Year's Light Sale
- Right Cars Vehicle Rental announce the appointment of Alison Lee as Customer Service Director
- How much do you know about Oral Cancer?
- The Azores - the world's first certified archipelago
- Providing Hope for Children and Families Across North Carolina - Children's Home Society of NC's Annual Little Red Stocking Fund
- CopyLady Earns ENX Magazine Elite Dealer of the Year Award
- Auto Driveaway acquires a majority interest in Sparkle Mobile LLC
- Freedom Spreads in South America
- North Carolina: Greek Battery Manufacturer to Invest $6.5 Million in Guilford County for their First North American Operation
- Symplast Founder Dr. Kusuma to Present Telehealth Session at the 2019 Florida Plastic Surgery Forum
- FileFlex Enterprise lets SharePoint users easily and securely share files with non-SharePoint users
- As a Black Man, What Happens in Vegas (at Circus Circus) Stays with Me Forever
- North Carolina: Biopharmaceutical Manufacturer Merck Expands Again in Wilson County with $57 Million Investment
- Bunk 57 Ministries kicks off "Returning Home Backpack" Program
- Bringing Home More Than Just The Tree: Common Bugs Found In Live Christmas Trees
- Learn. Repeat. Pass. MicroLearning from MicroLector