"When Hurricane Florence devastated North Carolina, people across the country gave their money and their time to help," Governor Roy Cooper said. "Donations and volunteers are a huge part of our ongoing work to recover and rebuild, and we're grateful for the assistance."
In total, the N.C. Disaster Relief Fund has raised $5.9 million from thousands of donors after Florence struck in September 2018. Individuals, schools, corporations, small businesses, foundations, and philanthropists make up the majority of the donors.
Donations have helped storm survivors with rent and mortgage payments, home repairs, utilities, food, and replacement of personal property through grants to nonprofits and community groups. The Golden LEAF Foundation and the North Carolina Community Foundation serve as the grantmaking organizations for the N.C. Disaster Relief Fund.
More on ncarol.com
- Menke to present at the 2019 ESOP Association Hawaii Chapter Annual Conference October 17
- Visionary 21 Convention Founder Anthony Dream Johnson Becomes First President of "The Manosphere"
- Itero Group, LLC Announces Selection to Receive HIRE Vets Platinum Medallion Award
- October 15 Tariff Increases, Cancelled
- Our Kismet Kitchen: True Kitchen Must-Haves for a Delicious Meal
- As of September 10, the Golden LEAF Foundation has used donations to the Relief Fund to make grants totaling more than $5.4 million to 48 nonprofit organizations and local government entities serving 25 counties. Golden LEAF reports that more than 5,000 households have received assistance from these funds so far. The North Carolina Community Foundation in April allocated an initial $1 million in disaster relief grants using a combination of funds from the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund and Foundation's own Disaster Relief Fund. Grants were made to 26 nonprofit organizations serving nine affected counties to help those communities recover.
See the complete list of grants awarded to date.
More on ncarol.com
- The Sports Circus Strikes Gold With Exclusive Partnership for National Hotel TV Coverage
- North Carolina: Another Legislative Vacation
- Higher Digital and Distance Education Accrediting Commission Partner to Help Colleges and Universities Assess and Improve Distance Learning Programs
- Pet Professional Guild British Isles to Offer Credentialing as Free Membership Benefit in Quest for Higher Levels of Professionalism
- "China Girl" Spins Tale of Far-Right Trumplandian Dystopia
Donations ranged from $1 donated by an 8-year-old boy in Georgia from his allowance, to $412,412 donated by Stephen Colbert and the Late Show, $1 million donated by United Healthcare, and $1.5 million donated by Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Contributions also came from people who survived Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, Hurricane Harvey in Houston, Hurricane Sandy in New York, Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and Hurricane Irma in Florida and wanted to support North Carolina's relief efforts.
People have also given their time to relief and recovery efforts through volunteer work. Since Florence hit, more than 168,000 volunteers performed over 3.4 million hours of community service. Volunteers staffed storm shelters, served hot meals, delivered emergency supplies and cleaned out flooded homes, and volunteers continue to help rebuild homes and communities recover.
Latest on ncarol.com
- Astor Capital Fund in Talks to Carve Out $22M Tech Partnership Venture with Saudi Investors
- Astor Capital Fund to Expand Alternate Energy Division Globally
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper Meets with Teachers Left Behind by Republican Budget Inaction
- Hillsborough Gallery of Arts Previews Orange County Artists Guild Studio Tour
- Ponos Industries LLC Extends Tender Offer for up to 14,000,000 Shares of Common Stock of AT&T Inc
- Ardor Learning Launches myEnglish Mobile App
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens its 30th Center in Griffin, GA
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper requests Small Business Administration disaster declaration
- Shuj Roswell Lands Another Full Length Album, 'Setting Fire To The Stars'
- Badass Tribe of Powerful Women Names Local Professional Organizer as New Chapter Director
- National Survey Debunks Celebrity Endorsements with Nearly 60% of Adults Claiming Medical Professionals are their Go-To Source for Weight Loss Info
- FantasyEsports.gg and Razer Announce Global Partnership to Deliver Innovative and Rewarding Fantasy Esports Platform
- Triangle Real Estate Group Welcomes NC Real Estate Brokers, Kristin Nastasi & Sarabeth Hogshire
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client Phillips Industries on Master of Quality Award
- LA Femme International Film Festival Presents Special Screening of SONY Pictures Classics "FRANKIE" Followed by Q&A with Brett King
- US Army Veteran Places His Boots on The Ground â€“ Acumentrics Places Power in His Backpack!
- North Carolina: Governor Cooper Joins Educators to Discuss Need For a Significant Teacher Pay Raise
- Jan-Carol Publishing Releases Winter Anthology
- Everything Horses Boutique Comes to Waxhaw's Autumn Treasures Festival
- Sailboat Struck by Lightning in the Virgin Islands