"Isaias hit North Carolina head on," said Gov. Roy Cooper. "Sadly, we have two deaths attributed to the storm and our thoughts are with those impacted by the devastation. As clean up continues, don't forget the pandemic is still with is. So help your neighbor, but do it safely by wearing your mask, keeping your distance and bringing your hand sanitizer."
A suspected tornado in Bertie County during the night destroyed about 10 homes and killed two people in its path, sending a dozen more to the hospital.
Twenty shelters were open during the night and housed about 40 people. Isaias left more than 127,000 houses without power as of 3 pm. Utility crews have begun working and have restored nearly half of those homes and businesses with electricity. As many as 360,000 homes were without power earlier today.
If your power is out, remember to use generators and grills outside, not in the house or garage. They can create deadly carbon monoxide. Use battery operated lights and avoid candles.
More on ncarol.com
- Wanda Alexis Alexander Launches 'What If…With Wanda', a New Podcast
- Intoxicating Wellness – A Mother And Daughter's Journey To Wellness And Sustainable Travel
- Cardinal Innovations Awards Nearly $2MM in COVID-19 Relief Grants to Not-For-Profit Organizations
- Governor Cooper Moves North Carolina to Phase 3 With Stable Numbers
- The Beverly Hills, 90210 Videocast Live Super Show will Celebrate 30 Years of TV's Favorite ZIP code
Downed trees, downed power lines and road damage remain in many areas of eastern North Carolina. Work crews from the Department of Transportation are assessing damage and clearing debris. The department asks residents to be patient while crews make their way through the counties and to be alert for large debris-clearing equipment on the roads.
People can get real-time traffic and road conditions, including information about any closures, at DriveNC.gov. Real-time flood conditions are available at fiman.nc.gov.
More on ncarol.com
- Praetego Inc Receives NIH Phase 2 STTR Funding to Advance Novel Amadorin Drug Candidates for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Thiel College as a top regional college in western Pa
- Largest floating solar power plant in the Southeast coming to Fort Bragg
- It's time to fulfil promise to the world's poorest – CPDE
- Aura Launches Commission-Based Referral Programme
Donations are being accepted for the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund and will address immediate needs such as tarps, food, water and cleaning supplies. The funds will be distributed to nonprofits working in North Carolina communities affected by Isaias.
President Donald Trump approved Gov. Cooper's request for a federal emergency declaration for 25 North Carolina counties, which authorizes federal assistance for storm response. On July 31, Gov. Cooper declared a state of emergency, which helps state and local officials take extra precautions to protect the public and allows the state to seek federal disaster aid.
Latest on ncarol.com
- Kontoor Brands Aims to Transform Apparel Production for Good
- Is Your Workplace Safe for Return?
- Jackson Rathbone's "DO NOT REPLY", launches Break Out Star: Elise Luthman
- Mary Logan Woolsey, her Family and Joshua's Heart deliver groceries to 350 families in Coconut Grove
- LabCorp to Announce Third Quarter Financial Results on October 27, 2020
- Impact Fund Genuine Interest Announces Strategic Investment in American Homebuilders of West Africa
- Scholars of Sustenance celebrates United Nations "International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste"
- Ladies - Here is How to Elevate Your Wardrobe
- IMPLAN Group Announces Release of COVID-19 Economic Data
- STARK Industries LLC Supports Space Center Houston's Exhibit on NASA Innovations During the Pandemic via NASA JPL-Designed VITAL Ventilator Loan
- 'Que the Excitement: Bojangles Expands Barbecue on its Menu
- United We Rise Works To Collectively End The HIV Epidemic For Every(Black)Body
- Cheeses of Europe Celebrates Brunch Culture
- ROSIE READER Launches Literary Adventures for Children Ages 3 to 5
- Renowned Christmas Tree Designer Donating Tree for Fundraising
- Rising Music Star, Kennedy Stephens Honors Breonna Taylor in Profound New Song
- A Thousand Ways to Save Energy - And $$$$
- Philadelphia Equity Transaction Closes to fund 6 High End Apartments in University City
- DonnaInk Publications, Nocturnum's Muse Imprint, announces signing of author Mitchell Allen
- Women's Aha Camp Celebrates 10 Years during Covid Chaos by Creating ahas!@home